As 2020 comes to an end, the SPACE Coalition would like to take this opportunity to reflect on our learnings from this year and look forward to what lies ahead in 2021. The SPACE team has met several times, plus several members of our Leadership Team have attended the TDSB’s Community Use of Schools Community Advisory Committee (CUSCAC) meetings in October, November and December.
Today’s message will:
- share what we heard at CUSCAC meetings,
- note issues and thoughts we have identified regarding community use in general,
- outline our thinking about community use of schools as we move forward through the coming “Vaccine Administration” period and eventually into an anticipated “Herd Immunity” period, and
- provide some additional information resources.
Every year the provincial government seeks input from individuals and organizations to build their budget. The provincial budget impacts community use of space in many ways, both directly and indirectly.
This year, the SPACE Coalition provided a pre-budget submission which focused on community use of school spaces. We made three concrete recommendations:
- Restore the Priority School Initiative (PSI) funding.
- As early as possible, confirm the Summer Focus On Youth (FOY) funding for facilities and jobs for students facing challenges.
- Increase Community Use of Schools (CUS) funding by the cost of inflation to offset increases in labour and utilities costs.
On Saturday, September 29, 2018, the SPACE Coalition hosted the How to Hub: Community Hub Development Forum at the Lawrence Heights Community Centre. This event brought together more than 60 residents and service providers from across Toronto to share, learn and connect.Read more